The physicians at Austin Area Obstetrics and Gynecology provide a broad-spectrum of progressive surgical techniques for a variety of gynecologic conditions. As a group, we have been regional pioneers in the development and utilization of many different minimally invasive procedures and have served central Texas as a well-recognized surgical referral center for several decades.
The philosophy at AAOBGYN has always been to provide a service where YOU obtain a clear understanding of your specific medical condition, and subsequently take an active role in determining the therapeutic option that is best suited for YOUR individual needs.
After a comprehensive gynecologic evaluation, our physicians will give you the opportunity to take an active role in the complex decision-making necessary to determine your best treatment. Treatment decisions may range from no intervention, to conservative medical therapy, to radiographic or surgical procedures.
When definitive surgical therapy is indicated, our gynecologists prefer minimally invasive surgical options. We are also available for second opinion consults.
If a patient chooses a surgical option, we arrange a complete pre-operative evaluation. The process includes a thorough history and physical examination, an occasional medical referral for surgical clearance, and /or additional radiographic and laboratory data. Additional tests may include ultrasounds, biopsies, and/or urodynamic evaluation for urinary dysfunction. We also obtain an informed consent and discuss potential pre and postoperative surgical consequences and precautions.
The conditions we evaluate and treat cover a wide range of gynecologic conditions. Here is an abbreviated list:
• Heavy and irregular menstrual bleeding
• Pelvic prolapse (including cystocoele, enterocoele, rectocoele, uterine prolapse, and post hysterectomy vaginal prolapse)
• Urinary incontinence
• Endometrial polyps
• Recurrent pregnancy loss from uterine septums
• Pelvic pain
• Pelvic adhesions
• Ovarian cysts
• Benign and premalignant tumors of the uterus and ovaries
• Pain with intercourse
• Vulvodynia and vestibulitis
• Permanent Sterilization
Some of the surgical treatments we provide include:
• Pelvic laparoscopy with utilization of laser therapy for endometriosis, pelvic adhesions, pelvic pain and infertility
• Laparoscopic presacral and uterosacral nerve ablation for pelvic pain
• Laparoscopic resection of fibroids, ovarian masses, and tubal pregnancies
• Hysteroscopic sterilization (can be done in office) (www.essure.com) – (www.adiana.com)
• Laparoscopic sterilization
• Operative hysteroscopy to include resection of fibroids, removal of polyps, and resection of uterine septums
• Endometrial ablation for irregular and heavy uterine bleeding. Ex. Novasure (www.novasure.com)
• Laser cervical cone and LEEP/LETZ procedures for HPV related precancers and cancers (occasionally in office)
• Laser treatment of vulvar and vaginal HPV related condyloma
• Vulvar vestibulectomies and perineoplasties for discomfort with intercourse or vaginal looseness
• Laparoscopic as well as vaginal and abdominal hysterectomies with or without removal of ovaries.
• Single incision techniques for laparoscopic procedures and hysterectomies (www.sils.com)
• Invasive laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy as well as laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomies
• Prolift mesh anterior and posterior vaginal repair for pelvic organ prolapse (Pelvic Organ Prolapse and Prolift Procedure )
• Suburethral mesh slings for stress urinary incontinence (www.gynecare.com)
• Exablate procedure (incision less ultrasonic destruction of fibroid tumors) For more info go to www.centraltexasexablate.com
The gynecologists at AAOBGYN have the most cumulative expertise in Austin for evaluating and treating various forms of Pelvic Prolapse and Urinary Incontinence.
• This includes the availability of extensive evaluation of urinary dysfunction with urodynamic testing.
• Treatment recommendations often involve conservative pharmacologic modalities and/or physical therapy as well as a wide range of often minimally invasive surgical procedures.
• These include vaginal, abdominal, and progressive prolapse suspensions with the utilization of less invasive mesh techniques.
The physicians at AAOBGYN participate as faculty in the University of Texas Medical Branch and Baylor College of Medicine surgical residency training programs. They have received multiple faculty awards for instruction on progressive surgical techniques.
AAOBGYN physicians have also been recognized with outstanding surgery awards, and have been featured in multiple regional & national publications, television, and radio programs regarding conservative and surgical management of gynecologic conditions.